Tuesday, June 30, 2020

Love between job lovers

Don’t believe the one who tells you that you can’t have both career and love. Simply don’t. That is not true. And they proved that precisely. Who and how?
Well, all started two years ago… She – Anna was a law student. Just like fire, she was destroying everything on her way.
“Come on, Anna” – said Julie. “Just once. Just once let your work at home. You know, there is something else besides work! Maybe a party, come on, come on!” Julie was giving her best to convince Anna to go out with her. The two of them were friends since high school. Anna and Julie both grew up in a small town, and their parents were farmers. They loved the big city, so they worked hard to get a chance to live there. Their worked payed off since they got scholarships for both high school and college and went to live in the big city. However, Anna was always too much focused on her work. She was literary a perfectionist. Julie also worked hard to become a doctor, but she also know how to party. But for Anna, her job was her soul and life.
“You know I have this big case on Monday, and I can’t go out. I need to practice my speech!” – said Anna.
“But you promised me, it is not fair.” – Screamed Julie. “If you don’t come tonight, I will find a new roommate!” – She said as she was trying not to laugh.
“No you will not. But to prove you that I am the best roommate you will ever have, I will go out with you tonight!” – said Anna. She left the books on her table and went to her room to get dressed. In less than an hour, they were both standing in front of the biggest disco club in the town.
“Are you sure this is the best place…” – Asked Anna.
“Yes, come on.” – Julie grabbed Anna’s hand and they went inside. Julie was a complete party girl, so she won the dancefloor immediately. But that was not the case with Anna. She felt strange, like something was missing. She went to the bar and got herself a drink. But in the moment when she tried to get out she bumped into a boy and spilled all her drinks on him.
“Oh, I am sorry, I am so sorry.” – She started explaining.
“Don’t be.” – The boy whispered to her ear.
“What?” – asked Anna. She thought ‘oh my God, on what type of freak did I bumped into?’
Yet, before she had a chance to say or do anything else, the boy grabbed her arm and took her outside on the balcony.
“Hey, hey, what are you doing, let me go.” – started screaming Anna.
“Oh, sorry, you are my ticket out.” – said the boy. He was devilish handsome, he had a gorgeous brown hair and amazing honey eyes. However, he was scaring the crap out of Anna. Thousands of awful thoughts were running in Anna’s head.
“Oh my God in what did I get myself into?” – She said. “Hey,” – Anna continued, “I am talking to you, I am a lawyer and this is pretty much a kidnaping.”
They boy then understood that what he was doing was hurting this girl, and that she was probably petrified. By then, they were on the balcony of the club. There was no one else, only the two of them. He left Anna’s hand and started explaining:
“I am so sorry. I am not a bully.” – said the boy
“You sure look like one. What the hell is wrong with you?” – Asked Anna
“Hey, you are the one who spilled me with vodka!” – The boy got defensive
“So, you needed to kidnap me?” – Anna went full lawyer on him.
“No, I am not kidnapping you, stop saying that. I just tried to escape that party. When you felt down on me, my friend looked at me, and he thought we were together, so I waved him and grabbed you so he can think that I found a girl and that is why I left the party!”
“Basically kidnapping is justified for you if you do it to deceive your friend?”
“No, God no! Stop saying that I kidnapped you that is not how it went down! I am not some creep. Besides, you keep saying and talking like we are in court. What are you, some kind of evil lawyer? – said the boy as he took his shirt spilled with vodka off.
“I am the lawyer that will press charges against you tomorrow. Please tell me your name, because shirtless handsome boy will not be enough.” – said Anna
“Nice to meet you, wild lawyer. My name is Steve. I am a doctor. So, you think I am handsome?” – said Steve
“Oh my God.” – screamed Anna as she tried to get out.
Steve grabbed her hand and said: “Look, I am so sorry, I didn’t mean to make you feel uncomfortable. I am really sorry. I am not like this. I am a doctor, I work 16 hours per day, and my friend insisted for me to come here.”
Anna heard him and she knew precisely what he was going through. She just whispered: “Your hand.”
“What?” – asked Steve.
“Your hand, you are hurting me.” – said Anna as she looked at his hand on her arm.
“I am sorry.” – said Steve again, “look, I know it is too much but would you stay at least five minutes with me, here?”
“Well, I can try.”- said Anna.
“Thank you.” – said Steve
“You know, it is very hard. I mean I love my job, but it takes all of my time, and sometimes, I have no time for sleeping, party doesn’t even cross my mind!” – started explaining Steve. He was standing on the edge of balcony. Anna approached him. He continued: “And that is all I ever wanted, to become a doctor, help people, provide equal help for everyone, but sometimes, it feels like”
“Like it is consuming you, and you have no time for yourself.” – Anna finished his sentence.
“Yes, like everything I do, as hard as I try, I always” – said Steve
“Get myself deep into my work, and forget to have a life.”- said Anna
“And it is frustrating, so much like, will I ever get something else than work? Will I experience anything else?” – Steve was opening himself up in front of this girl.
“Or end up being the crazy lady with the cats?” – said Anna.
Steve laughed on this one: “Hey, I know you for five minutes, and still you understand me better than any of my friends.”
“That is because I am going through the same thing myself. My friend dragged me here against by will too. I have this big case on Monday, and I was planning on rehearsing all night. Being a good lawyer takes all of my energy, and sometimes I ask myself”
“Is it worth it?” – Now Steve was the one who finished her sentence.
“You see, you understand me too.” – said Anna
Steve spread his hand and said: “Since we both established that we are the same, and God, we hate this place, what do you say we get out of here, and go get some pancakes?”
“God, I love you in this moment.” – said Anna.
Through laugh they went through the disco hall and waved at their friends, who both had laugh at their faces when they saw that they were with someone. Then they went outside of the disco club and went into a small restaurant next to the sea. The night was passing, and they didn’t noticed that. After their really late dinner, they took a walk on the beach. They laughed all the way. Steve decided to walk her home. They were standing in front of Anna’s building:
“You know, my friend partly insisted on me to go out tonight because I am planning on going to Hawaii for one week. I am going on Monday evening.” – said Steve. “I know this would sound crazy since we know each other for like a couple of hours or so, but I have a feeling that we know each other for ages. So, would you like to come with me?” – asked Steve.
“Well, I have this case…” – said Anna
“Shh, don’t say no. Let’s make a deal. I will come at the court on Monday, and after you finish, you can decide wheatear you will come with me and try to love, or you will say goodbye.” – said Steve.
“It is a deal.” – said Anna
Then they hugged and kissed and Anna went inside. Julie saw them out of the window and started screaming: “Aw that is so cute, come on, tell me everything.”
The morning went in small talk about the night, and Anna told Julie what Steve proposed to her.
“You should definitely go, you haven’t taken a vacation in the last few years.” – Said Julie
“We will see, but it is not likely. I need sleep” – through yawning said Anna.
“Do you want me to start buying cats for you from this birthday, or to wait till your next one?” – yelled Julie while Anna was going to her room.
The big Monday came and Anna was very anxious. Her client was a poor man who was suing big company. The case was very difficult, since although the big company wasn’t right, she had bigger power. Anna was very anxious. They got inside the court and she was standing in front of the judge, ready to start her speech, and she turned around saw all these people waiting on her, she saw the poor guy she was representing and his children in the audience and then, her gaze went on another man, Steve! He came to watch her, just like he said. That encouraged her. After 4 hours of presenting, and explaining and fighting, she won the case.  As soon as she got out, the media surrounded her, and she gave one statement. As she was talking, she saw how the man only hugged his family, and that put bigger smile on his face than winning the case. In that moment, one of the CEOs of the biggest companies in town, approached her.
“You were brilliant out there Miss Anna. Me and my colleagues watched you, and decided to offer you a job. You can start tomorrow.”
She was flattered by this man’s direct approach and she loved their company and what she represented. But, she also saw Steve in the background behind this man, approaching his car. She was not in dilemma. Through smile she said: “That is great, but unfortunately, I have another case to work on before yours, if that works for you then fine.”
Seeing how determined she was, the man decided not to push her to hard: Fine, you can start with work after 2-3 weeks. But tell me, whose case will you work on?”
Anna smiled and said: “Mine. I have to work on my love case.”
She left his speechless, and went to Steve’s car. He was about to go. She opened the door and looked at his disappointed face which suddenly changed into a happy face: “Is there a place for one more?”
Steve looked her right in the eyes, he took the two plain tickets from his pocket and said:
“Is it possible that I know you this well?”

                   ------x-----------x--------x---------


No comments:

welcome

set the controls for the heart of the sun